Picking crabs is such a classic way to spend a summer evening. Gather your friends and family, spread out some news paper and lay out steamed crabs with all the fixings. It's a fun and delicious way to share a meal, as long as you know how to pick a crab.
Use this helpful guide to learn how to break down a blue crab and put your skills to the test during our crab feast on September 21!
HOW TO PICK A CRAB
FOR THE BODY OF THE CRAB:
1. Remove the claws and all of the legs EXCEPT for the back fins at the base of the crab (these will come in handy later)
2. Flip the crab over on its back.
3. Get a knife or your finge underneath the apron, the part that resembles the Washington Monument, and slide your thumb in between the apron and the body, then pull it down to the bottom of the crab so that you can pry off the top shell.
4. Once you have the shell off, use a knife to cut off the lungs on the sides of the body and scrape out the contents of the middle section.
5. Split the body in half, vertically between the two sections.
6. Remember those back fins we left on? Get your thumb in the knuckle of where the back fin connects to the body and slowly pull.
7. If you do it right, you should end up with a lollipop of crab meat on the other end of the back fin.
8. If you couldn't quite get the crab lollipop to work, you can still get the meat out of the two halves. Just cut each of the halves in half like you would an un-cut hamburger bun and pick through the four sections!
FOR THE CLAWS:
1. Break the claw in half, where it naturally bends.
2. Place your knife at a 45-degree angle on the center of the half with no claw.
3. Hit the knife with your mallet to break that half and enjoy the meat!
4. With the other half of the claw, place your knife perpendicularly as close to the base of the actual claw as possible and hit with your mallet.
5. Once you pull the two halves apart, all of the meat should be attached to the side with the claw. If the meat is stuck in the other half, repeat step 2 on this half of the claw.
Crab Feast Weekend
Now that you know how to pick a crab, get crackin' at our crab feast on September 21 from 1 to 4 p.m.
We'll have steamed crabs, grilled hot dogs, coleslaw, baked beans, corn on the cob and pasta salad. Grab a refreshing glass of lemonade or iced tea or bring your own adult beverage along for the occasion.
To get your tickets, call our Event Director at 443-856-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may Also Like: